Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Last day at Kiteyagwa

Tuesday, August 02, 2011
My last day at Kiteyagwa.  After I was dropped off in the morning I spent some time observing a Geomotry class in grade 7.  The teacher, Richard, had to write out the lesson (shapes and measurements), teach and I can understand how it is impossible for him to get around and check to see how all 74 students in the class are doing.  The students were working hard at taking notes but they were sharing erasers, rulers and even a couple of students were sharing a notebook. 

Richard teaching Geometry

Students taking notes
 One person that has meant so much to me is Justina, the principal.  She refers to me as her sister and I have been able to ask her any questions I have about the school and Bukoba in general.  We actually discussed her family and the fact that she is working to support her brother’s three children while also putting her own two kids through college (her oldest is going into law and her second is in mass communications).  She shared that she was worried about her niece, Gloria, who would be graduating from 7th grade in November.  She would like to send her to secondary school but doesn’t know if she can afford the $700-$800 a year to in role her in a quality school. Many students go through the basic seven grades but can’t afford to take the next step in their education. 
As much as this trip has meant to me, saying goodbye to these teachers broke my heart.  They wanted to do something special for a gift and pooled money together to buy fabric since they knew how much I love the skirt I had made here.  It was very humbling that these people would pool their money for me and the skirt and coin purse will be cherished forever!
Fabric from the teachers


In truth, I am really struggling with gifts all together. I am so grateful for the hospitality that has been shown and seeing them spend money on gifts is too much.  I can not even begin to describe the emotions and appreciation I have. My heart is full. It has been a truly humbling experience!
After spending time in Bukoba I feel it is extravagant to hire a driver for the return trip to Entebbe.  The bus is around $15 verses several hundred to hire a driver.  Smart has made all the arrangements and I am not sure if I should be writing this information since my mother will begin worrying.  DON’T WORRY MOM!! I WILL BE FINE!!! There are people who will take me from the bus straight to the air port and I will have many hours before my flight leaves.  My first experience with African public transportation!! I’m sure I will have a considerable amount to write next time!

1 comment:

  1. So happy you had a wonderful time. I can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete